Kinematic Measurement System
What is the KMS?
Computerised system for testing and training athletes and patients. An inexpensive yet powerful tool for clinical assessment and rehabilitation. Based on millisecond timing of events using light switches and contact mats. KMS can be used to measure agility, anaerobic power, cutting speed, sprint speed, jump height and power, contact time, foot speed, gait timings, interval training, functional capacity etc.
NEWS FLASH: June 22, 2012 False signal processing brings single-photocell timing up to accuracy of dual-photocell. Latest no-reflector light gates as accurate as dual-photocell.
A peer reviewed scientific publication has demonstrated that single-photocell (SR) timing gate systems without false signal processing have significant and meaningful measurement error of 10m sprint performance and may not be able to detect training or deconditioning induced changes in performance. With signal processing (longest ON in this case) the single-photocell could measure 10 metre sprint time without any false signals (arm or leg breaking beam as well as trunk) but dual-beam gates did not totally eliminate false signals. A new photocell was tested that does not require a reflector (NR) and with false signal processing, eliminated all false signals and was on average within 9ms of the time measured with a dual-photocell timing gate. “The latest NR photocells appear equally accurate as SP and greatly reduce setup time and equipment to be transported.” Light gates that do not require reflectors are now available from Fitness Technology and integrate seamlessly into our Kinematic Measurement System.
Performance Feedback is a great feature of the KMS with instantaneous visual and audible indicators of the performance achieved and whether the athlete is successful at meeting the target. For more information please see Performance Feedback.
A detailed discussion of the advantages of the KMS over other timing systems on the market can be viewed by clicking here.
For scientific references on the validity, reliability and applications of this technology please click here.
KMS PortaKit with 4 light gates and starter’s siren is now available.
Click here for details.
The KMS is a computer based system for measuring a large range of human performances. These include:
- Vertical jumping – both single, drop jump and multiple jumps
- Interval & multi gate run tests
- Gait analysis
- Balance assessment and rehabilitation
- Agility tests (first step quickness)
- 90 second Box Test
- Contact time
- Turns any Windows compatible computer into a sophisticated timing system for performance testing
- Inexpensive and comprehensive measurement system that has no equal
- Computer accuracy in time measurement
- Instant feedback for the athlete during training and testing
- All test results can be exported directly into Microsoft Excel for professional reporting and collation of test results
- Utilizes your existing investment in your computer rather than requiring you to purchase a dedicated timing device which has no other use
- Effectively overcomes the problems of switch bounce and false signals which plague all other timing systems. Click here if you would like to see a demonstration of False Signal Processing in operation.
- IBM PC compatible computer running Windows 95 or later (Windows 2000/XP or later for Export to Excel option)
- Parallel printer port or USB or serial port
KMS is a Scalable Performance Testing System
One of the great features of this system is that you can be up and testing with only the software and a simple contact mat. The jumping, gait analysis, fast feet, and contact time tests only require a mat and if your budget is tight then even the running and first step quickness tests can be conducted just using contact mats. The base system includes software, data interface, user guide and one contact mat. We use contact mats from Tapeswitch and full details of both the light duty and heavy duty models are available on the their website.
Now you can expand your system as your finances permit with the addition of infra red timing lights (single or dual beam), starting gun switches, hand or foot switches etc.. An extensive range of compatible equipment is available.
Free introduction into the Kinematic Measurement System
We would really appreciate you taking the KMS for a test try out. The full version of the software is available for free from our download page.
Clinical Assessment and Rehabilitation
The KMS can be used as an inexpensive yet powerful tool for clinical assessment and rehabilitation of patients. A discussion of this application can be found on our Clinical Assessment and Rehabilitation page.
Teaching Laboratories for Exercise Science
The KMS can be used as a very inexpensive teaching tool for the exercise sciences. Here are three laboratory sessions which demonstrate key aspects of human performance: